There are an average of 300 crashes in Jersey City each year. While some are minor, many collisions lead to injuries and expensive repairs.
Working with a Jersey City car accident lawyer can help you protect your rights after a crash. Glugeth & Pierguidi, P.C. is a leading firm in New Jersey. Speak with us after a car accident to see if you qualify for compensation.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Jersey City
Car accidents happen fast, and victims often can’t react quickly to avoid collisions. Sadly, many of the common causes of car accidents are preventable.
Our attorneys often see car accidents due to the following:
- Distracted driving. Many drivers use smartphones and other electronic devices while on the road. Texting, talking on the phone, or using a GPS can distract attention, leading to accidents.
- Intersection collisions. Jersey City’s numerous intersections pose a challenge for drivers. Failure to yield the right of way and disregarding traffic signals contribute to many intersection-related accidents.
- Poor weather conditions. Rain, snow, and fog can make roads slippery and hard to see. Drivers who struggle in these conditions can cause accidents if they lose control of their vehicle and enter the wrong lane.
- Speeding. Excessive speed is a persistent issue in Jersey City. Speeding reduces reaction time and increases the severity of collisions, making accidents more tragic.
- Aggressive driving. Tailgating, road rage, and changing lanes are unsafe behaviors. Aggressive drivers are hard to predict and put others at risk.
- Driving under the influence (DUI). We see our fair share of incidents involving impaired drivers due to alcohol or drugs. Drivers who commit DUIs have less control over their vehicles, leading to accidents.
- Inexperienced drivers. New residents and young drivers may struggle with the stress of city driving. These drivers often make poor decisions or mistakes and cause crashes.
- Vehicle defects. Mechanical failures, such as brake malfunctions or tire blowouts, can happen anytime. Regular vehicle maintenance is crucial to prevent accidents caused by unexpected mechanical issues.
- Congested traffic. Jersey City’s streets are often congested, especially during peak hours. Gridlock and heavy traffic can lead to rear-end collisions, sudden stops, and a higher likelihood of fender-benders.
Speak with an auto accident lawyer no matter how your crash occurs. Our firm will help identify the cause and find the liable party.
Determining Fault After an Accident
You may be able to recover compensation from the party at fault for an accident. In some cases, the police report will show clear evidence of fault. However, you may need additional evidence to hold a party liable.
Evidence can include:
- Witness statements,
- Photos and video, and
- Accident reconstruction experts.
New Jersey follows a comparative negligence law. Multiple parties can share fault in an accident. Even if you are partially liable, you can recover if you share no more than 50% of the fault.
How a Jersey City Car Accident Lawyer Can Help
Working with an attorney is crucial after a car accident. Glugeth & Pierguidi, P.C. can manage your entire case so you can focus on recovery.
Objective Case Evaluation
Our attorneys can meet with you to provide an unbiased and objective assessment of your case. They will evaluate the facts, evidence, and circumstances surrounding the accident to determine the strength of your claim. After this, we’ll advise you on legal options and suggest the best course of action.
Investigation and Evidence Gathering
Our lawyers will conduct a thorough investigation into your accident. We’ll work with law enforcement, medical professionals, and other experts to understand the circumstances. We’ll then use this evidence to demonstrate liability.
Calculating Damages and Compensation
Many victims undervalue their damages and suffer as a result. Accidents can cause long-term harm that often requires multiple surgeries and rehabilitation. Our firm will consider your current damages and future needs to calculate a fair compensation amount.
Negotiating with Insurance Companies
Dealing with insurance companies can be complex and intimidating. These companies offer low settlement amounts to entice you to settle. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators who will advocate on your behalf, ensuring that insurance adjusters consider the full extent of your damages and work toward a fair settlement.
Representation in Court
Negotiations don’t always lead to a settlement. Our firm will be ready to represent you in court in these cases. The attorneys will present your case, argue on your behalf, and demonstrate why the law supports your compensation claim.
Your car wreck attorney can reduce stress during this challenging time. They offer support and help make sense of the confusing legal process.
Frequently Asked Questions About Car Accident Claims
Our clients often have many questions about car accidents. Here are some of the most common questions we receive.
What Damages Can Be Claimed in a Car Accident Case?
If another party is at fault for the crash, they may owe you compensation. Victims often seek the following damages:
- Medical expenses,
- Property damage,
- Lost wages, and
- Pain and suffering.
The comparative negligence statute allows you to recover compensation if you share fault, but the court will reduce your total award by this percentage. For example, if you are 20% at fault and win a $100,000 award, the court will award you $80,000 after deducting your share.
How Long Does It Take to Settle a Car Accident Claim?
Car accidents are unique and complex matters. Some settlements happen within a few weeks, while others take years. Speaking with a Jersey City car accident lawyer about your case is the best way to get an estimate of how long the process will take.
How Long Do I Have to File a Car Accident Lawsuit?
New Jersey has a two-year statute of limitations for personal injury claims. A court could dismiss your claim if you don’t file a personal injury lawsuit within two years of the date of the car accident. The law makes exceptions for minors and allows them to file a claim within two years of their 18th birthday.
Schedule a Case Evaluation
Speak with Glugeth & Pierguidi, P.C. before accepting a car accident settlement. Our award-winning attorneys have recovered millions for clients and never settle for less than you deserve. Call today to schedule a free consultation.